Re: Should NBPG be unconditionally undefined to avoid references to PAGE_SIZE?

Mike Frysinger wrote:
On Friday 14 September 2007, Stephen M. Kenton wrote:
Alan Modra wrote:
On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 09:55:13AM -0500, Stephen M. Kenton wrote:
This is probably a better place to discuss this than bug-binutils. I am
trying to make it easier for people to build cross-compile tool chains
for all 20+ targets supported by the Linux kernel,
All the world is not (yet) Linux. Take a look at bfd/configure. I
see linux, riscix, bsd, sysv, freebsd, sco, mach, osf, riscos, hpux,
ultrix and other unspecified operating systems using trad-core.c.
Have you considered how many of those targets you might break by
#undef NBPG?
Yep, that's why I asked the question instead of submitting a
quite-possibly-bogus patch.  However, if you look a couple of lines down
from my putative undef of NBPG in trad-core.c  you will find.

#ifndef NBPG
# define NBPG getpagesize()
#endif

Maybe that should something to the effect of (if linux or not NBPG then
define NBPG ), if getpagesize() is not portable enough. I don't know
enough about "riscix, bsd, sysv, freebsd, sco, mach, osf, riscos,
hpux,ultrix and other unspecified operating systems" to comment on
them. For this define to work, all the uses of NBPG have to be dynamic
anyway so I assume the rest of the binutils code is OK with it. Maybe
there are target specific uses that require a constant?

the point of adding those lines was so that the headers in the Linux kernel and glibc could safely be transitioned. the kernel headers are broken ... they should not be exporting asm/page.h. unfortunately, i havent had time to finish posting patches to lkml to fix the situation.
-mike
-mike
Thank you for the information. I did not trace it back that far through the twisty windy maze of headers. If a fix is in progress than I'll just make due with the #undef hack in the mean time and wait the real fix to roll out. Thanks for working on this problem!

Steve