Re: objdump --syms output

Hi Nick,

On 9/7/07, Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:
> Oh well, I am attaching a patch to add some documentation about objdump --sym's
> output.  What do you think of it ?  Does it help ?

Wow, Of course it does, thank you so much !

a few comments:

>            The  other common output format, usually seen with ELF based files,
>            looks like this:
>
>                    00000000 l    d  .bss   00000000 .bss
>                    00000000 g       .text  00000000 fred
>
>            Here the first number is the symbol's value (sometimes  referred  to
>            as  its  address).   The next field is actually a set of characters
>            and spaces indicating the flag bits that are  set  on  the  symbol.
>            These  characters  are  described below.  The next field is another

before that, there is the section name field. about that field, btw,
can you please
tell what does "*ABS*" stands for ?

>            number associated with the symbol, which for common symbols is  the
>            alignment  and  for other symbol is the size.  Finally the symbol's
>            name is displayed.
>
>            The flag characters are divided into 7 groups as follows:
>
>            "l"
>            "g"
>            "!" The symbol is local (l), global (g), neither (a space) or  both
>                (!).   A symbol can be neither local or global for a variety of
>                reasons, eg because it is used for debugging, but it is  proba-
>                bly an indication of a bug if it is ever both local and global.
>          "w" The symbol is weak (w) or strong (a space).
>
>            "C" The symbol denotes a constructor (C) or an ordinary  symbol  (a
>                space).
>
>            "W" The  symbol  is  a warning (W) or a normal symbol (a space).  A
>                warning symbol's name is a message to be displayed if the  sym-
>                bol following the warning symbol is ever referenced.
>
>            "I" The  symbol is an indirect reference to another symbol (I) or a
>                normal symbol (a space).
>
>            "d"
>            "D" The symbol is a debugging symbol (d) or a dynamic symbol (D) or
>                a normal symbol (a space).
>
>            "F"
>            "f"
>            "O" The  symbol  is  the name of a function (f) or a file (F) or an
>                object (O) or just a normal symbol (a space).

I'm not sure about that. compiling that empty-main program yields the main
symbol with an "F" flag (obviously main is the name of a function, not
a file). btw,
the empty symbol whose section is *ABS* is marked with "f". I really can't
tell what that is.

Thank you so much for this help, really. I hope it gets into the next version
of binutils, too !

nameer