URGENT : elf_update - low performance with large files ? (fwd)

Hi,

 Firstly, I would say my message is somewhere completely off the topic on
either of the lists. But I dont know where to ask for help. I searched and
searched for all pointers on libelf.

 Now, I use an age-old version probably - libelf.so.0.8.2.
I donno from where I got it, but probably from mr511 site only.

 So this libelf, I use, in reading and writing elf object files.
While library appears doing the work smartly for smaller files (elf object
files), it sucks at rather too large files ( ~ 100,000). Profiling shows
98% of the time is spent only in elf_update(). ( took nearly 2 hours for
creating objectfile of an 500,000 lined assembly file )

 Does anyone have any idea where should I find some tips for avoiding this
? Is it something really to do with libelf only ? Any pointers are really
helpful. This kinda ASAP for me.

 Incase required, please mail me removing cc list so as not to spam every
 one (Please see the message below for further details).

   Thanks!

--
Regards,
Anitha B