Re: Enable 32-bit Alignment

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 04:20:29PM -0500, Menezes, Evandro wrote:
> HJ,
>
> > > Anyways, I wasn't able to find good information on older
> > processors (before Ppro), so I'd rather leave them as is.
> >
> > The old processors should take
> >
> > N x 66 90
> >
> > They may not be the best, but should run fine.
>
> On some of our 486 and 586-class embedded processors each prefix beyond 2 takes and extra cycle to decode.
>
> Everything else seems fine at first glance (I ask my colleagues to check it further), but I'd rather keep the oldies as is.

People who care about performance on those processors should pass
proper -mtune= to assembler. BTW, I don't think you will get
decent performace on those processors with default gcc optimization.
I don't want to penalize majority of current x86 processors by
default.

Maybe gcc should pass -mtune= to assembler if assembler supports it.

H.J.