What's the difference between the relocatable link and the final link

Hi.
  Recently I am porint the binutils to a new target. The new target
utilize the EFL format. I've read the BFD  Internals several times,
and find that I should write the rellocate function in ELF32-cpu.c.
But I am confused by the "relocatable link " and "final Link". I think
the relocate function in elf32-cpu.c is used by the final link, and
the "special function" in howto structure is used by the relocatable
link. Is this understanding correct?
And when the linker performs a relocatable link?
 Thanks!

redriver