Re: PATCH: Remove --with-bugurl in gas, ld, gprof and binutils

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 09:36:42PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, H. J. Lu wrote:
>
> > How do you handle PKGVERSION in manuals? I think --with-bugurl
> > and --with-pkgversion should be handled in the same fashion.
>
> I don't - yet.  The obvious approach would be to put --with-pkgversion
> logic in each directory with a manual (directly or through a macro) and
> put the necessary information in the generated .texi files.
>
> Fitting this into the English of the manuals is a bit more tricky, given
> that the package version may either be the default (GNU Binutils) or
> something with a binutils package version (XYZ Binutils 2.18-7) or the
> name of a larger product containing binutils among other tools.  What's
> appropriate in one place may not be in another.

All programs in binutils include bfd/bfdver.h to get package version.
I believe we should generate bfd/doc/bfdver.texi for all binutils
manual to include. bfd/bfdver.h and bfd/doc/bfdver.texi should
have both package version and bug url. I don't see why it shouldn't
work.

H.J.