Re: Updating top-level autoconf to 2.59

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 12:58:55PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> Where "right" means host defaults from build, or from target?  My case is
> same target, several hosts, target may be the same as one of the hosts.

>From build.  That's what "Specifying the System Type" in the autoconf
manual says, quite clearly.

Answers for 2.59:

> What are the options supposed to be for build A, host B, target C (all
> different)?

Specify all.

> What are they meant to be for build A, host B, target B?

Specify --build and --host.

> What are they meant to be for build A, host A, target A?

Specify --build.

> What are they meant to be for build A, host B, target A?

Specify --build, --host, --target.

> What are they meant to be for build A, host A, target B?

Specify --build, --target.

> Assume in all cases that options (a) should work for both 2.13 and 2.59
> toplevel (and ideally for pre-3.4 Cygnus configure), (b) should never fall
> back to using config.guess.  At present you can specify all of build, host
> and target and this works for all GCC versions that I know of, for every
> case listed above.

If you ask for the sky, don't be surprised when all you get is a
raincloud.  This is not possible.  Take it up with the autoconf
maintainers, not with me.

2.13 defaults build to host and runs config.guess if you do not specify
host.  2.59 defaults host to build and runs config.guess if you do not
specify build.  They are clearly incompatible, and the 2.59
interpretation is pretty clearly more sensible, too.

Autoconf 2.59 assumes you want a cross tool if you specify --target,
no matter what you specify it as.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery