Re: Updating top-level autoconf to 2.59

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> > Likewise - if building compilers for the same target and multiple hosts it
> > seems at least nonintuitive that --target must be specified for most hosts
> > but must not be specified for the one host that's the same as the target.
> > And will target default to host in that case (if you specify host but not
> > target) for 2.13?
>
> IIRC, the problem is actually specifying --host, not --target.  If you
> configure with just --build --target, it should work right.  Still, I'd prefer
> to not change the semantics of this.

Where "right" means host defaults from build, or from target?  My case is
same target, several hosts, target may be the same as one of the hosts.

What are the options supposed to be for build A, host B, target C (all
different)?

What are they meant to be for build A, host B, target B?

What are they meant to be for build A, host A, target A?

What are they meant to be for build A, host B, target A?

What are they meant to be for build A, host A, target B?

Assume in all cases that options (a) should work for both 2.13 and 2.59
toplevel (and ideally for pre-3.4 Cygnus configure), (b) should never fall
back to using config.guess.  At present you can specify all of build, host
and target and this works for all GCC versions that I know of, for every
case listed above.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com