Re: PATCH: Support LD_SYMBOLIC and LD_SYMBOLIC_FUNCTIONS

Hi H.J.

At the very least H.J. you ought to extend your patch so that the linker clearly tells the user that it is changing its behaviour because of an environment variable.

We have

[hjl@gnu-2 ld]$ grep getenv *.c
ldemul.c:  char *from_outside = getenv (TARGET_ENVIRON);
ldmain.c:  demangling = getenv ("COLLECT_NO_DEMANGLE") == NULL;
ldmain.c:  emulation = getenv (EMULATION_ENVIRON);

Linker does support environment variable.

Indeed, but it really should be telling the user about the use of these variables as well (if they are defined).

Is it really that much easier to set an environment variable for a particular package, as opposed to say, altering its Makefile or build script ?

Can you try to enable -Bsymbolic-functions for all or selective packages, e.g. GTK+, Pango, Firefox, Open Office, ... in a distro, like FC6 or FC7?

No. But then I do not do things like that and I do not have a build environment set up to run this kind of test. I was asking you, since I think that you do have this kind of knowledge, if you could tell me why using environment variables in this way would be a good thing. Are the alternatives really so bad ? If this feature is only for user convenience, then we should really consider whether it is worth it. If supporting this environment variable will make our (binutils-maintaining) lives harder then do we really want to do it ?