Re: PATCH: PR binutils/3826: elf_object_p can't tell freebsd object file from standard ELF object file

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 07:54:43PM -0800, H. J. Lu wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 01:59:46PM +1030, Alan Modra wrote:
> > You bumped ABIVERSION here for Linux.  I'm also a little worried that
>
> elf64_hppa_post_process_headers is no longer called for Linux/hppa.

Oh, OK.  I missed that.

> > object files created other than by binutils might use OSABI values
> > other than the value we now require.  For example, see the comment
>
> That is enirely reasonable to reject such object file since it may
> contain info we don't know how to handle properly. If we can handle

I disagree.  We ought to try our best to handle an object file with
an unexpected OSABI, particularly if the unexpected value is
ELFOSABI_NONE.

> it, we can always define elf_backend_object_p like what elf32-hppa.c
> does.
>
> > in elf32_hppa_object_p.
>
> That is fine since I didn't change elf_backend_object_p in
> elf32-hppa.c.

I noticed that.  I was using elf32_hppa_object_p as an example of
things that people might do, and spark some discussion on what we
should allow for OSABI.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre