missing linker symbols w/ binutils-2.17

The linker script which follows has been working fine with binutils-2.15 on a number of architectures. Now that I'm attempting to upgrade to 2.17, I find that one of the linker-script-defined symbols does does NOT get added to the symbol table. I DO see it in the .map file, and it had the correct value. However, its really not in the symbol table. This script is used to create a library which needs to provide that symbol. I originally had the first two symbols defined in their own section.

I haven't been able to find a bug report which seems to mention this problem. I've tried a number of things w/o success. The "lexunix_prefetch_1_start" symbol simply doesn't make it into the resulting symbol file. The 5 other similar symbols all get processed correctly.

Any and all help is appreciated,
John

OUTPUT_ARCH(arm)

SECTIONS