Re: Question regarding processing of .eh_frame sections during partial linking on elf64-ppc platforms

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 03:05:45AM -0800, William H. Maddox III wrote:
> More generally, I am interested in other quirks of "ld -r" where the
> output of a partial link is of a form that could not arise as the
> direct output of gcc, g++, or gas.

I suppose I ought to have a stab at answering this too.

- you might see multiple local symbols with the same name.

- compilers (stupidly) don't put all code generated for linkonce
  functions in linkonce sections (either .gnu.linkonce.* or ELF comdat
  groups).  The linker generally doesn't attempt to remove the unused
  leftover bits in non-linkonce sections.  Of course, this applies to
  a final link too.  Most notable in ELF debug sections.  Some
  targets have code in the linker to edit certain sections to remove
  these leftover bits, eg. ppc64 edits .toc and .opd.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre