Re: [osol-discuss] Re: GNU ld -shared fails to link filtered symbols on Solaris

Joerg Schilling wrote:

This may still not prove your claim as the final ELF spec has been done by Sun and AT&T as part of the the joined work for SVr4.

The original ELF spec was indeed created by these players. But, the design
allowed for a great deal of extensibility. All of the UN*X's have added
their own extensions. The various players have also done a great deal of
collaboration to share each others extensions, or at least carve out name spaces such that we don't step on each others toes. It's not a perfect
world, but the original designers did a pretty good job. The format has
allowed for many innovations while still providing backward compatibility.

So, I don't believe there is *an* owner.  There are numerous specifications
maintained by various bodies that document the core format together with
various extensions.  The Solaris definition is maintained in the "Object
File Format" chapter of the Linker and Libraries Guide:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-1984/6mhm7pl26?a=view

--

Rod.