Re: Dynamic linking to specific .so versions

Lluís Batlle wrote:

> I've noticed that "ld" doesn't link the final ELF to the ".so"
> library, but to the ".so.X", where X is a number. At least in my Linux
> ELF system.

If it just recorded the name as .so it would render shared library
versioning completely useless.  You'd have to recompile every single
package in the distro that links to a given library whenever it made an
ABI change.  The whole point is that the binary links to a given ABI
version of a library, so that you can have multiple incompatible
versions present.

Brian