assembling output of objdump dissassembly

I'm using objdump under both NetBSD 3.0 for Sun3  (elf format executables),
and SunOS 4.1.1 for Sun3 (a.out format  executables).

I can disassemble statically linked executables with  objdump, and the output
makes for quite interesting reading, but I would like to  be able to modify
then assemble the output, creating a new executable.

It  appears that the objdump output is quite similar to, but deliberately
different  from, the assembly created from compiling a c program with "gcc -S".

Is  there a mechanism to convert the objdump disassembly output to an
assemblable  form?  Or is that a deliberate objdump decision to have the output
different, as my desire is inherently unworkable, as modifying the disassembly
would change all the branch offsets and cause everything to  break?

thanks,
arthur