Porting binutils to mips r5900 (ie Playstation2 EE cpu)

Hello,

For sometimes I have been using an unofficial toolchain for the mips
r5900 cpu used in the playstation 2.
I would like to update the toolchain to fit it in the official
binutils tree. I will not start from the scratch since the existing
patch already works, but I would like to modify it according to your
requirements.

From the previous mails on this list about the r5900, I have
understood that it should be implemented by starting from a r1000
basis. It is more close to the r3000, but it lacks r3000 instructions
and adds new ones.

If you have any recommendations, or if anyone on the list is already
working on it, do not hesitate to leave me a message.

Thanks,
Julien