Smpeg MMX asm compilation (problem)

Hi Guys,
I'm working on SMPEG, putting a bunch of optimizations into the
code- can't get any of the assembler code to compile tho'-
I'm building under msys, mingw. Please look at the following code and let me
know what I'm doing wrong:
http://cvs.icculus.org/*checkout*/cvs/smpeg/video/mmxflags_asm.S?rev=1.6

"#if defined(i386) && defined(USE_MMX)

.text
 .align 4
.globl cpu_flags
 .type  cpu_flags,@function
cpu_flags:
        pushfl
        popl %eax

        movl %eax,%ecx

        xorl $0x040000,%eax
        pushl %eax

        popfl
        pushfl

        popl %eax
        xorl %ecx,%eax
        jz cpu_flags.L1   # Processor is 386

        pushl %ecx
        popfl

        movl %ecx,%eax
        xorl $0x200000,%eax

        pushl %eax
        popfl
        pushfl

        popl %eax
        xorl %ecx,%eax
        je cpu_flags.L1

        pushl %ebx

        movl $1,%eax
        cpuid
        movl %edx,%eax

        popl %ebx

cpu_flags.L1:
        ret
.Lfe1:
 .size  cpu_flags,.Lfe1-cpu_flags

#endif /* i386 && USE_MMX */

#ifdef __ELF__
.section .note.GNU-stack,"",%progbits
#endif
"

Here's the error I get back:
video/mmxflags_asm.S: Assembler messages:
video/mmxflags_asm.S:7: Warning: .type pseudo-op used outside of .def/.endef
ign
ored.
video/mmxflags_asm.S:7: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized
character
 is `c'
video/mmxflags_asm.S:49: Warning: .size pseudo-op used outside of
.def/.endef ig
nored.
video/mmxflags_asm.S:49: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized
characte
r is `c'
make: *** [mmxflags_asm.lo] Error 1"

Now I'm pretty new to make etc- but I've hunted the internet up and down,
and the msot informative page I could find was this:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/pic-fix-guide.xml :and it doesn't
tell me how to fix the errors in the more recent code, only the old stuff
(which, by the way, won't compile either):
any help you could give would be much appreciated-
Cheers,
M@