From: Nick Clifton [mailto:nickc@redhat.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 4:49 AM
To: Wealand, Barry
Cc: Joel Sherrill; H. J. Lu; binutils@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Problems linking PSIM programs

Hi Barry,

> For sake of completeness, I've attempted to build binutils 2.17 as
> suggested, also for a Linux host and powerpc-eabi target.  This does
> not build (using native gcc 3.3.4 on the Linux machine).

Well this definitely should work.  I have a built powerpc-eabi toolchain

on my machine using the 2.17 sources and it completed OK.

> A whole slew of
> errors are reported when building bfd, compiling module elf32-ppc.c.
> The errors seem to occur in an include file, elf32-target.h, the first

> from line 468:
>
> elf32-target.h:468: error: `false' undeclared (not in a function)

This presumably indicates that the definition of
"elf_backend_can_make_lsda_relative_eh_frame" is "false" instead of
"bfd_false".

> Have I missed any new required steps for configuring and building
> binutils-2.17?  (2.12 configures and builds on this machine just
> fine.)

Yes.  But it is hard to say exactly what has gone wrong.  It looks like
you are getting hold of some old header of configuration files
somewhere.  (The "false" type was removed from the binutils sources a
while ago now).

Did you build in an entirely clean environment ?  (If not, please try
this).  Otherwise, please could you show us the other error messages you

are getting, and also the command lines you are using to configure and
build the binutils ?