Re: PATCH: Remove InvMem from MMX/SSE instructions

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 04:09:03PM -0700, H. J. Lu wrote:
> http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2001-05/msg00065.html
> http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2001-05/msg00187.html
>
> use InvMem on source operand to indicate that it must be register.
> I don't believe it is correct since RegYYY won't match memory anyway
> and InvMem is used to indicate how operand should be encoded. This
> patch removes it.

It's true that the way the code is currently written that removing this
flag will not change the insn encoding.  All InvMem does on *source*
operands of these reg->reg insns is document that the register is
encoded in the regmem field of the modrm byte.  So why do you want to
remove documentation?  There is certainly nothing wrong with InvMem on
these operands.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre