Info regarding the selection of 64-bit vs. 32-bit shared libs

Hello,

I have found that I am missing some critical information regarding the
executable loading process when shared libs and a 64-bit app are
involved.

Specifically, I have LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to /usr/lib and /lib.

In one case, 64-bit app A loads the 64-bit version of its shared libs
(including libGL.so) and runs happily.

In another case, 64-bit app B does not...until LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to
/lib64 and /usr/lib64.

I'd like to understand why app A loads properly without changing the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

If possible, could you point me to the proper documentation?

Thanks in advance for the help,

AJ Sahukar
asahukar@altair.com