Looking for help with libbfd

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for questions like this. If not, I apologize, and ask that someone point me in the right direction. Thank you.

I'm writing a debugger and want to use libbfd. I'm finding it difficult to start, in particular because I'm not even sure how to build it properly. My intent is to link it into my Mac OS X app statically (eventually I'll need to make it Universal, but I'll worry about that later).

a) For starters, I want to debug AVR (8-bit MCU) targets on a Mac OS X host. I've configured it with this:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-mmap --enable-targets=all -- enable-commonbfdlib --enable-install-libbfd --disable-nls

b) I would like to know more about NLS.

TIA,

-- Rick