Re: Adding -z nonow to complement -z now

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 20:48:10 +0200
Olivier Galibert <galibert@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 08:00:03PM +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
> > Although some might consider it pointless, it would be very useful
> > to us (Gentoo Hardened project).  We flip the default when building
> > with gcc to set -z now by default.  Our current method of undoing
> > this (which we need to do very occasionally) is via an extra option
> > handled in a gcc specs file; the downside here is that libtool in
> > particular filters our option because it doesn't recognise it.
> > With this, we can pass '-Wl,-z,nonow' in LDFLAGS and libtool pays
> > attention.
>
> Why don't you fix libtool?

The essential problem for us is that ld doesn't provide a switch-off
option to go with the switch-on option.  There are other downsides that
go with this.  I prefer to tackle that essential issue, especially as
it's trivial to do.

Is there a good reason why this shouldn't be added to ld?

--
Kevin F. Quinn