Re: RFH/RFC: symbol index overflow in MIPS linker stubs...

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 09:03:30PM +0100, Thiemo Seufer wrote:

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 08:27:59PM +0100, Thiemo Seufer wrote:

I would favour a two instruction sequence, applications will continue to
grow. There might be some compatibility traps, but at a superficial
glance I haven't found an obvious blocker.

If we can change the stub sequence without ABI problems, why waste an instruction? Support both.

Will the stub section support varying entry sizes? I'm not sure.

This is solveable, as a simple matter of programming, or ignorable,
by padding the shorter entries with a trailing nop.

I think the best option is to unconditionally increase the stub size by 4 bytes. The value of MIPS_FUNCTION_STUB_SIZE is used in quite a few places in elfxx-mips.c, so it seems a bit risky to change it for variable size stubs.

I am working on a patch now.

David Daney.