Re: questions about adding target to Binutils source

Hi Jesse,

1. Now i work on version 2.13. Must i change to work on current
version 2.16.91 before i contribute the target source to add my
target to Binutils source?

Yes, however it should not be too painful.

Sorry, but this is a requirement. Your new code, if it is accepted, will be added to the current development sources at the head of the CVS repository, so we really need a set of patches that will apply to these sources.

2. Maybe i will often add features to my target; how to add the
patches to CVS repository? Who should do the job, me or the
maintainers? Will you test it before commit it to CVS?

The port maintainer (or a global maintainer) can commit the patches for you. Patch submitters are responsible for testing patches and, if experience suggests that they are not adequately testing, will have their patches more closely scrutinised in future.

The binutils already includes an extensive testsuite, but ideally when you contribute your code to support this new target you will also contribute some additions to the testsuite that check the features peculiar to your port.

3. Dose anyone else have right to add features to my target and
commit to CVS? If so, maybe the modification is not what i want.

This will be at the judgement of the port maintainer.

Actually once you have contributed your port anyone will have the right to use that source. They can develop new features for it, and if they wish they can submit them to us. The port maintainer or a global maintainer will decide if they are suitable to be included into the sources in the FSF repository. If they decide that the new feature(s) are not suitable they will explain why. But, and here is the crucial bit, that person is free to maintain their own port, outside of the FSF, and continue to support and develop their own features. This does not happen very often, but it does happen.

4. How long Does it take to add new target to Binutils source after
i contribute the target source patch?

Only a couple of days if the patches can be reviewed easily. It's best to try and break the patches up into logical chunks to make the task of reviewing them easier.

Right - but it is also important to mention that a submission cannot be accepted or reviewed until you have completed an FSF copyright assignment. If you want I can email you the form to start the application for this assignment.