Concept of statically-linked shared library?

I the book "Linkers and Loaders" by levine, and here I have a question regarding a concept from it:
With static Shared libraries, symbols are still bound to addresses at link time, but library code is not bound to the executable until run time. The addresses of routines and data in the library are bound into the program.

My question is:
1. It seems that current Linux ELF linker doesn't do this (statically linking shared library), right?

2. Also, the author pointed out, this static shared library mechanism gives better runtime performance than dynamic linked shared library, which I understand because of little indirection. I wonder for performance critical code, Linux should be able to provide this linking mechanism.