Re: abort in bfd_cache_lookup_worker

[Responding to old mail here...]

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 11:09:05AM +0100, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hmm, maybe what we should do is not abort, but issue a descriptive error
> message ("file <foo> can no longer be found") and then exit ?  That way
> we do not have to check all potential users of bfd_cache_lookup.

No: BFD is a library.  It has long-lived users with UI, not just the
command line binutils tools.  For instance, this abort has been
reported a half-dozen times as a GDB bug.

In HEAD now we get an annoyed message and things limp along, which may
be the best we can hope for.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC