Re: Binutils on Atari MiNT

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 17:08 +0100, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> > Apologies if this is the wrong list for this sort of thing.
>
> No this is the correct list.  I apologise for not replying earlier - I
> have been away on vacation.

Sorry for not replying to your reply earlier ;)  I too was on vacation.

> > The problem we have is that while compiling a certain part of gcc,
> > binutils consumes around 10MB of ram before it dies out with "Memory
> > exhausted".  I have 256MB of physical RAM and over 200MB free.
>
> When you say "binutils" here do you mean the linker, or the assembler or
> some other tool in the binutils suite ?

I have since had 100% success with our platform.  The problems I was
having were with the linker only, and the problem was within our
specific BFD code (modified aout).  The error was bogus and was due to a
bad comparison generating that generic error.

> > I don't
> > expect anyone to know the solution, but a pointer as to where to start
> > looking would be great.
>
> On the assumption that it is a linker problem I would suggest that you
> investigate using the --reduce-memory-overheads switch.  If that does
> not work then the most likely cause is an infinite loop somewhere, most
> likely in the code you have patching.  I would recommend using a tool
> like GDB to find out where such a loop might be occurring.

There is no memory problem at all.  The code seems to be comparing a
size (as in bits or bytes) to an address as a sanity check, but the
sanity check itself seems insane to me.  I'm new at this stuff, but
doing the best I can.  I really care about m68k mint and m68k linux.

Thanks,
Mark