Re: [RFA] Add some VAX floating point formats to floatformat.[ch]

On Mon, 2005-08-22 13:00:26 +0100, Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark,

> >>I think that having a more descriptive comment for the VAX byte order
> >>would be helpful.  eg describing the layout of 1.2345678e10 as is done
> >>with the other entries in this enum.
> >
> >Could do that, although it wouldn't be particular useful.  VAX is not quite
> >IEEE, so the bytes will be completely different, not just shuffled around.
>
> Ok well then how about the comment containing a quick precis of the VAX
> format.  I am sure that various people will be interested to read it.

That's actually quite simple: transcribe the nice pictures in the VAX
Architecture Reference Manual into ASCII art and give a specific example
for one number.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O