Re: ldlang won't compile with latest gcc

> Well it works, so I am not going to object.  In fact please consider the
> patch approved.  I have to say though that I prefer unions.  This is
> exactly one of the situations that unions were designed to cover and it
> seems silly to me to have to play tricks with variables when we could
> just make use of a well defined feature of the language.

I tried replacing that pointer with an appropriate union pointer, but
it was used all over the place and it got messy fast.  The other
alternative is to create a small two-member union right in that
function only to do the conversion, but that's just as hackish as what
I posted.

It looks like each structure is in two lists; one is the list of
everything (which is header.next, a union pointer) and also each
*type* has its own list and its own next pointer.  It's this second
one we're tripping over.  I haven't looked long enough to figure out
why nobody else trips over this.