Compiling, --target question...

Hi Folks,

I am currently trying to set up a build environment for Haiku (was
OpenBeOS) under Linux on PowerPC hardware so I can start porting to
some systems I have.  Someone has already written a howto on how to
compile Haiku on Linux which can be read here:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/open-beos/buildtools/INSTALL-as-cross-compiler-on-LINUX?rev=1.1&view=markup

In here binutils is built using --target=i586-pc-beos, which builds
correctly for BeOS on Intel hardware.

There is a PowerPC version of BeOS, however this uses the PEF file
format.  If I was building a PowerPC version of Haiku I would want to
use ELF as backward compatibility isn't really an issue.

What do I need to do to be able to use a target command like
--target=ppc32-pc-beos, or --target=ppc32-pc-haiku so it will build
for PowerPC CPU's for BeOS using ELF?

--
Thanks,

Andrew McCall