Re: More ld testsuite tweaks

Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> writes:

> Hi Zack,
>
>> ld-scripts/align1 fails on arm-epoc-pe; this seems to be a genuine
>> bug, but not an important one; accordingly, XFAIL it.  OK to commit?
>>         * ld-scripts/align.exp: XFAIL align1 on arm-epoc-pe.
>
> Not really no.  If it is a genuine bug it ought to be fixed.  If it
> cannot be fixed, or you do not have the time to fix it, then the
> reason for the failure at least ought to be documented in the comment.
> If you do not know why it is failing and you do not try to track it
> down then you may well missing an opportunity to uncover a problem
> which is not just specific to the arm-epoc-pe toolchain but possibly
> all arm toolchains and maybe even every toolchain.

I did try to track it down, but got nowhere.  (I'm still not very good
at tracing binutils' internal logic.)  Since I posted that patch, I've
determined that it is a general PECOFF problem, but I know no more
than that.

Alan Modra already approved the (general PECOFF) xfail.  I'd prefer
not to take it back out again.  Over on the gcc side, we've found that
having a baseline state of no unexpected failures is a very desirable
thing - it means you can have confidence that any FAILs that show up
in testing are your fault.

zw