Re: modifying ld options in the enviroment

Hi Marty,

I inserted a environemnt variable LD_ENV_OPTIONS
which allows you to inject options into ld

This is wrt 2.16 -- I've had this for a few years...I've found it very useful...I'm thinking of duplicating something like this for gcc...

The big problem with this approach, and the reason why it has been rejected before (both for ld and gcc) is that it makes reproducing a bug much harder. Unless you remember that the environment variable has been set, (assuming that you know about it, quite often this kind of thing is done for you in a system wide initialisation script), then you might not report it when submitting a bug report or take it into consideration when investigating a bug.

Using wrapper scripts also has the same problem. By far the best way is to spend the effort to create a good build environment where extra linker command line switches can be set on the build command line.