Re: can I check out the class definition from binary?

Hi Lin,

I have a program built on Linux and having problem in debuging it in GDB. I am suspecting that its symbol table is not built as expected, meaning the debug info is not complete.

Why do you think that it is not complete ?

I wonder how to use the binutils to check that. For example I now there is a class C1 defined in lib1.so, then how I can print out the definition? I just run "nm", but it only print out the names of the symbol table, it does not list the class definition.

If you are using the DWARF debug format then the answer is no. The "readelf" program does have the ability to decode and display DWARF debug information, but it will do so at a very low level, rather than reconstructing high level information like class types.

If you are using the STABS debug format then you may be in luck. Try using the "objdump" program with the "-g" switch. This may give you the information that you are looking for, although you should be aware that the STABS format has some limitations with respect to complex C++ classes and so it may not be able to provide you with all of the information that you want.