Re: Problems compiling elfxx-sparc.c

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:46:12 +0100
Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:

> I think that the question remains: Why is the 32-bit version of
> elfxx-sparc.c attempting to access 64-bit functions when support for
> 64-bit sparcs is not enabled ?

Because it's a genericization of all of the 32-bit and 64-bit
sparc support.

So much code is common that it's a maintainence nightmare to
have two instance of the same code just because one passes the
generic relocation object to the elf32 function and the other
passes it to the elf64 function.

MIPS does the exact same thing with it's elfxx-mips.c and people
seem to be fine with that.

I really don't want to add a pile of BFD64 ifdefs to elfxx-sparc.c,
that would be entirely silly.  There has to be another solution to
this problem.