Re: nios-elf-objcopy S-record length

Hi Dan,

I am currently working with a GNU tool chain obtained from Altera

In theory if Altera supplied this toolchain to you then you should be asking them for support...

GNU objcopy 2.9-nios-010801-20030722

As has been mentioned 2.9 is a very old release of the binutils sources. Altera may well have modified and improved them but I doubt if they have included the functionality that you want. Possibly they have a more recent release available for you to purchase.

Normally I would recommend that you obtain and use a more recent version of the official binutils sources. The current 2.15 release would be good. But of course support for the NIOS processor has not (yet) been contributed to the binutils project.

There are other companies out there that provide GNU toolchains that support the NIOS processor and which use more recent versions of the binutils sources, but sadly I cannot mention any of them by, especially since I work for one of them.

Can someone please tell me if/how I can apply this patch to my version of objcopy so that I may get 16-byte S-Records generated and ease my life considerably?

You need the sources to your version of objcopy. Without that you are stuck. With them you are in business. The "patch" program will do most of the work for you although you may need to edit/fix-up some of the source files by hand.