Re: PATCH: Test the just built windres/dlltool only

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 05:00:31PM +0000, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi H. J.
>
> >My PATH has binaries for my host machine, which are irrelevant to the
> >target for my binutils built tree. I don't think
> >
> ># configure
> ># make
> ># make check
> >
> >should test any of my install binaries. "make check" should assume
> >my installed binaries are OK.
>
> But by this argument, your patch ought to be extended to all of the
> programs checked in the default.exp file, not just windres and dlltool.

windres and dlltool are only enabled for certain targets. It isn't
impossible that I have windres or dlltool in PATH for entirely
different purposes. I asked for windres nor dlltool not to be
built. It is kind of odd for "make check" to check my windres or
dlltool behind my back.

> Plus I do not think that it is always reasonable to assume that
> installed binaries are OK.  Users should be able to test them if they
> are worried that they contain bugs, or if they want to compare the
> behaviour of an installed set of tools against another set.

But I don't think it is the best way to test the installed binutils.
Have you tried to test the installed binutils in the build directory?
Can you can show me how my patch prenvents you from testing the
installed binutils?

H.J.