Re: frv-elf-ld doesn't support the '-shared' option

On Jan 30, 2005, Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>> The target 'frv-uclinux' is used to compile/link the applications for uClinux (no MMU)? While the target 'frv-linux' is used to compile/link the applications for MMU linux?

> I don't know enough about frv to answer questions about mmu or lack of
> mmu.

The most relevant difference between frv-uclinux and frv-linux-gnu is
(potentially) in GCC: the former assumes uClibc is the system library,
whereas the latter assumes (or rather could assume) glibc is.
Currently, not even for GCC does it make any difference IIRC.

>> Can i use the toolchain whose configure target is frv-linux to compile/link an application program which will run on an uClinux machine? and vice versa?

> They will almost certainly produce the same code.

But since the sys-root will be difference, and uClibc and glibc are
not binary-compatible, you'll likely run into problems, unless you
refrain from using any data structure or function from the C library.