Re: Branches in CVS repository?

Hi Mark,

OK, here's an attempt. Thoughts? OK to commit?

Yes, with the changes already suggested by others. I would suggest the following however:

* Where do you envisage the BRANCHES file living ? In the top level directory or in the binutils/ subdirectory ? I would assume the latter, in which case I think that you ought to refer to the file as binutils/BRANCHES in the binutils/MAINTAINERS file, just so that there is no confusion about the location.

* We might as well be clear about the issue of dates in branch tags. Thus I would suggest adding this after the binutils-tgc-fm example:

"A date stamp is not required as part of the name field, but some organizations like to have one. If you do include the date it should follow these rules:

   1.  The date should be the date that the branch was created.
   2.  The date should be numerical and in the form YYYYMMDD.

For example

binutils-tgc-fm_20050101"