Re: PATCH: --sysroot-suffix

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 03:53:48PM +0000, Richard Sandiford wrote:
> OK, the concensus seemed to be that a --sysroot flag was worth having,
> and that it would be nice to support it on non-sysrooted linkers too,
> but that it wasn't necessary for the first cut.
>
> Here's a cleaned-up version of the patch, this time with docs and
> NEWS item.  Tested on mips-linux-gnu.  OK to install?

There seems to be plenty of precedent for --argument=value in GNU ld,
but the documentation says:

       Arguments  to  multiple-letter  options  must  either  be
       separated from the option name by an equals sign, or be given as
       separate arguments immediately following the option that
       requires them.  For example, --trace-symbol foo and
       --trace-symbol=foo are equivalent.  Unique abbreviations of
       the names of multiple-letter options are accepted.

I always use the space, personally, so I'd be pretty confused by the
dummy option handling; how about supporting that too?

I'm somewhat surprised the hack is necessary, but I'm sure you're right
:-)

As a first cut to fix the configury option, we could always enable
sysroots for native tools.  Right now the differences in linker script
generation are only the addition of the '=' marker, the use of
NATIVE_LIB_DIRS (already enabled for natives), and something
complicated for $(tooldir) that I can't quite remember the purpose
of...

--
Daniel Jacobowitz