Re: PATCH: Fix shared library build for libiberty

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 09:20:58PM -0800, H. J. Lu wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 09:10:41PM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
> >
> > > I believe libiberty is the only library which uses config/mh-CPUpic
> > > for building shared library. Other libraries use libtool for that,
> > > which doesn't use config/mh-CPUpic.
> >
> > I'd rather libiberty use libtool, then.  Any reason not to?  Would you
> > like to try changing it?
>
> I can give it a try.

Just to make sure that everyone understands that we don't build
libiberty.so for libiberty. But we do build an archive compiled with
-fPIC which can be used by other libraries. Are we going to build
libiberty.so or keep the same? If we build libiberty.so, we have to
be very careful about the ABI. We have to treat it like libstdc++ when
we change/add/remove things to libiberty. If we don't build
libiberty.so, I don't see there is a need for libtool. My top level
patch is better.

H.J.