Re: Testsuite for avr-as

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> I tried running "make -k check" in my obj-avr/, to see if anything
> interesting happened. It was kind enough to create a new site.exp file.

You should also have got test results from the generic parts of
the test-suites, and output in obj-avr/gas/testsuite/gas.log.

> Now I just need to figure out how to connect that to our .s/.d pairs,
> rather than hare off after " build_triplet i686-pc-linux-gnu", etc.

Ignore site.exp, it's just there to confuse you.  No magic. Copy
the .exp:s I quoted and just s/mmix/avr/.  All framework set, no
need to copy anything else; go write the actual tests.

> Some quick results, using DejaGnu-compatible .s/.d pairs, would be very
> motivating, so I'm even tempted to refresh my TCL acquaintance, and try
> just running them through "regexp_diff", once I figure out whether it's
> a built-in, or we have to borrow it from one of the scripts.

Heh, actually looking at the source would help...  or not.
It's in gas/testsuite/lib/gas-defs.exp.  (Actually copied all
over; it's in other generic testsuites as well, just like
run_dump_test.)

> To bash through a slab of .s/.d pairs for an assembler, which should
> give very consistent output, regexp_diff and our 8-line bash script
> would do the job, I suspect. Once some more test cases are happening,
> the layers of DejaGnu flexibility-providing obfuscation could then be a
> second step.

You probably want to improve the ld testsuite for avr as well.
Mostly the same thing, just in the ld directory.

brgds, H-P