Testsuite for avr-as

G'day,

Unlike other gas implementations, avr-as lacks a formal testsuite. Over
on the avr-gcc list, a couple of us are seeking to rectify that. Rather
than go too far with "home-brew" test schemes, we're trying to scrabble
up the binutils testsuite learning curve.

A bit of poking around in the binutils source distribution shows .s and
.d files. Is there some doco that we can read, to discover:

a) Preferred method for generating .d files.
b) Rather than further develop our existing prototype test engines, what
   script does binutils use to bang through the .s/.d pairs?

Oh, a horrible thought: If this is to find its way into the distribution
one day, then there's likely to be some requirements we should know about.

Erik