Removing unwanted symbols from a .so

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered before, I did a brief search of the
archives (and have googled) but didn't find anything that covers the
problem I'm having.

I've built a .so, but when I run nm -D on the .so, I get a list of
not only the external dependencies and explicitly exported symbols,
but also a large number of symbols that are meant to be internal to my
library.

Is there either (a) a way to prevent these symbols from being added to
the .so in the first place (maybe through partial linking?) or (b) a way
to strip these extra symbols whilst keeping the library functional and
keeping the API symbols available?

Thanks in advance.

PS. I'm not currently subscribed to the list, so please CC me when
replying.

--
Miah Gregory