Re: Obsoleting elfarm-oabi [was Re: PATCH: Reduce size ofSymbianOS DLLs]

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 15:04, Richard Earnshaw wrote:

> I've done some archaeology, and it turns out that the old abi was named
> so in February 1999, ie 5+ years ago.  That appears to correspond with
> the binutils 2.10 release (we're now at 2.15).  The old ABI was only
> ever added as a stop-gap because at the time it was first created ARM
> hadn't published an ELF specification for ARM.

Some more archaeology.  Following a conversation with Phil Blundel, I
took a look at the old releases.  In binutils 2.9 there was NO support
for ELF on ARM of any kind.  In binutils 2.10 the old ABI was already
that -- old.

So if any release of binutils had the old ABI as its default, it wasn't
an FSF release?

Nick, could this be some GNU PRO legacy?

R.