Andrew Cagney <cagney@gnu.org> writes:

Let me see if I've got this:

objfile - iterate over sections
corefile - iterate over segments
archive - ???

archive - iterate over objfiles

(I wondered)

But what of this:

For runtime, bfd_map_over_sections needs to do something different again create a list of sections using offset information obtained from the segment table.

That can either be done in two stages; reverse map in-memory segments to on-disk image, open pseudo on-disk image as an object file; or a single direct stage where the "sections" describe the in memory offsets.

The latter, which I think is an operation unlike any of the above, is what I'm trying to implement.

Do you concure that the operation is unlike any of the above?

Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> writes:

> > So how would you solve this problem?  Given a memory access method and
> > a starting offset, construct a bfd containing a list of sections
> > constructed using both the segment and section information in the
> > inferior?

> > I would write a new BFD target vector; e.g., elf32-i386-runtime.

Ugh, is that really necessary? It would mean architecture-specific code to support this generic ELF concept, and I don't see any useful hooks in the elf backend vector anyway...

Yep, ulgh.

I'm not arguing for architecture-specific code.  The code should be
written in a generic way to support any architecture, and
elf32-i386-runtime would just be a modification of elf32-i386 which
called this new generic code to dig up the runtime information.

How? Without adding to BFD's existing macro #include hell? This is needed for all elf object formats.

My argument is just that we should have a different target vector for
this type of thing.  I'm basing this on Andrew's description of what
is needed, and on his arguments for introducing bfd_runtime as a
parallel to bfd_object, et. al.

Andrew