Re: PATCH: Fix sign-extension of bignums

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

The assembler has had irritating issues like this for a long time,
because the assembler has no notion of the proper size for arithmetic
operations (or, for that matter, the proper signedness).  Basically,
we assume that everything is a simple signed integer, unless it
obviously isn't.  And the size of the simple integer depends upon how
the assembler is configured (your test case would probably work
correctly if you configured with --enable-64-bit-bfd).  This approach
works 99% of the time, but fails for specific cases like yours.

I tangled with this recently for 64-bit Darwin, finally gave up trying
to make it work for bignums and went the lame-o way of keying off the
target architecture.

Another five or so pissedoffnesses, I'll quit my job to rewrite gas;
the status quo is totally irritating, but it's easier to continuously
dribble out money for fixes than to whack at the root of the problem.

Stan