Re: PATCH: Add bfd_get_section_ident

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 05:22:31PM +0100, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi H. J.
>
> >This patch implements the unique section identifier.
>
> Could you provide a bit more background please.  For example:  What are
> unique section identifiers ?  Why are they needed ?  How are they used ?
>  Do they need to be documented somewhere ?

There were some discussions:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2004-05/msg00597.html

Basically with comdat section group, we may have multiple sections with
the same name. It is meaningless to use the section name to identify
the section when reporting error. Users can't tell which section the
linker is having problem. The unique section identifier uses the
section and group names to identify the section so that it is unique.

> Also, would it be possible to include a test somewhere that checks the
> behaviour of this patch ?

I will write one in x86 assembly since it needs a compiler with comdat
group support.

H.J.