Re: patch / RFD: speed up linker map file generation

Hi Ben,

There are plenty of applications that detect the amount of available
working memory and adjust their behaviour accordingly.  Can't the
linker do the same?

Yes - in fact this would definitely be a good idea.

It seems unfortunate that we mere humans must
instruct the program to do something that it can probably figure out
better itself.

I still believe that we need the command line switches to override the linker's behaviour in order to control it in special situations. eg when the user doe snot want the linker to use all of the available memory.