Re: should 'ld -u sym' cause an error if sym not present?

Hi Chris,

so, i was just messing around with ld -u, and noticed that it doesn't
seem to cause an error of the undefined symbol isn't available (even
if doing a final link, in an environment w/o shlibs -- i know those
things are some reasonable variables for generating undefined
symbols).

Should it?  I'd think so, given that the undefined symbol was
explicitly requested.

I think that it should - but I am worried that if we change this behaviour we will break build environments were a whole selection of undefined symbols are supplied to the linker when only a few of them are relevant to any particular link.

Maybe a better solution would be to extend the --unresolved-symbols switch to include an option to report unresolved command line symbols (using the method specified by --warn-unresolved-symbols / --error-unresolved-symbols).