Re: demand_empty_rest_of_line and ignore_rest_of_line

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@wasabisystems.com> writes:

> The code could certainly be cleaned up, as is true of most of gas.
> But I don't see anything wrong with the underlying logic.

Actually, there is one obvious simplification we could apply: the
assembler could always read the entire input file into memory, and
process it that way, rather than reading it buffer by buffer.  That
would simplify and speed up the state machine logic.

However, that would in some cases be a significant change to the
memory requirements of gas.  For example, the i386 insn-attrtab.s file
is 2.7M on my system, which is a lot on some systems.  On the other
hand, the assembler builds other data structures which are
proportional to the size of the input file.  So memory requirements
will not increase by an order of magnitude, or anything like that.  So
it might be acceptable.

Ian